Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Coontie Transplanting








The Coontie is not the easiest plant to transplant but it isn't impossible either. I was told by a horticulturalist that they would die if transplanted. I transplanted these about 2 weeks ago and 80% of them are still green and intact. It is important that the tap root be complete. If you try to dig these up be careful to dig deep and get the entire tap root. If you sever the tap root or nic it I was told by an ecologist to let the plant dry out for a few days to allow it to harden over the wound. I planted everything the same night but I didn't keep the plants moist all day. I was warned not to plant them to deep. The ecologist told me they transplanted truck loads of them with success but not until after a bunch of them died because they were planted too deeply.



Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. That's a good tip. I've moved many, and many have died. One "died" and miraculously came back. Guess it was luck!

    ReplyDelete